I replaced 1/2 the butter from the original recipe with applesauce, added whole wheat flour, cinnamon, SimplyFruit jam, extract and fresh berries.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup simply fruit raspberry jam (seedless if you prefer)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, cleaned and dry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla/almond extract
How to Make Raspberry-Oatmeal Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350° F (175 degrees C). Using an 8 inch square pan, line with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- 2In a mixing bowl combine brown sugar, flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and rolled oats. Blend in the butter to form a crumbly mixture (I use hand/standing mixer for this). Press 1-1/2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- 3In a microwave safe bowl, warm jam to spreading consistency. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla/almond extract, mix well. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge (this is important so it doesn't burn). Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
- 4Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.