Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Sorbets! by Jim Tarantino.
How to Make Orange Dondurma
- Wash the oranges and lemon and peel. (Make sure the white pith is removed from the peels or the ice will be bitter.)
- Combine the orange and lemon peels with the water in a noncorrosive saucepan and boil for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture steep for about an hour. Drain, discard the peel.
- Combine the liquid with the sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Juice the oranges and lemon and combine with the cooled mixture.
- Pour into a 9-inch by 13inch by 2-inch cake pan and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until set.
- To serve, scrape the dondurma with a spoon or fork to create small shavings and spoon into individual chilled dessert bowls.