Macaroon Cherry Tart
The dough is a dense tart dough that is buttery, coconutty and delicious. Topping it off with cherries adds a tart zing to the rich pastry crust.
You can use canned cherries drained well. Topping it off with the macroons topping instantly gives a mouth watering dessert that all fits well together. Simple and easy to make.
- 1/2 lb
- cherries washed and pitted and cut in half
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 3/4 c
- shredded coconut
- 1 1/4 c
- brown sugar lightly packed
- 10 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- egg whites
How to Make Macaroon Cherry Tart
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the middle. Butter an 8x11 tart pan or spring form pan and line with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the coconut, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and salt. Stir in the melted butter and mix until dough is crumbly. Press the mixture into the pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 3Combine the remaining 2 cups coconut, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and egg whites. Mix until well combined.
- 4Evenly distribute most of the cherries across the the crust of the tart. Now drop little spoonfuls of the macaroon topping over the cherries (I dirty up my hands for this part), and mush/press the coconut topping around a bit into the spaces behind the cherries. You can let at least some of the colorful cherries pop through the topping for effect. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the peaks of the macaroon topping are deeply golden. Let tart cool and serve.