Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling
I love it!! I've also posted a recipe that uses this filling in an Apple Crisp:
- 6 qt
- sliced fresh apples (firm crisp apples are best)(about 30 apples)
- 5 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c
- clear jel
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 1/2 c
- 5 c
- apple juice
- 3/4 c
- bottled lemon juice
- 500 milligram vitamin c tablets
How to Make Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling
- 1Crush vitamin C tablets to a powder. Put in a bowl of water to put apples in. Peel and core the apples. Slice in 1/4 inch slices and put into the bowl of cold water (this will prevent apples from turning brown while they wait for the next step.
- 2Combine sugar, Clear Jel, cinnamon, water and apple juice in a large pot. Stir and cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add drained apple slices to sauce.
- 3Fill jars with mixture, leaving 1 -inch head space. I packed the jars with the apples and then divided sauce among the jars.
- 4Wipe jar rims clean, tighten lids and process immediately. Place jars in pot of water with water 1 inch above top of jar lids and boil for 25 minutes (For 0-1,000 ft altitude. See download for other times). Remove from water and let jars cool 12 to 24 hours. Lids should be indented if properly sealed. Now they are ready to be saved for later or wrapped for gifts. skiptomylou.org/...mf1187.pdf