We loved this for breakfast on the holiday, and it would be delicious for dessert any time!
This calls for a jar of fried apples, and a jar of caramel sauce.
BATTER FOR WAFFLES
2 ca/p flour
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 cfirmly packed dark brown sugar, divided
2 tspground cinnamon, divided
2 tspground ginger, divided
1/2 cbutter, melted and divided
1 JAR (28 OZ.) FRIED APPLES AND 1 JAR (12 OZ.) CARAMEL SAUCE
·*optional garnish:whipped cream, sweetened;
·*optional garnish:toasted chopped pecans;
·*optional garnish:ground cinnamon.
How to Make Gingerbread Waffles
- Preheat a waffle iron, be sure it is oiled well.
Measure and combine first three ingredients, add 1/4 cup of the dark brown sugar, 1 tsp.each of the cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl.
- Stir together the yolks with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Add these to the dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold this into the above mixture, to make the batter.
- Pour onto waffle iron and bake until golden.
- Cook apples and 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1 tsp.each cinnamon and ginger, and 1/4 cup butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until heated.
- Warm the caramel sauce. When waffles are done top with apple mixture and caramel sauce, and garnish if desired.