Caramel Apple Crisp
Today (1/12/2011) I tried making it with fresh apples instead of canned. Wonderful, plus it helped me use up some apples. I used one yellow delicious, one granny smith, and one macintosh, so you can use any type of combination of apples you have on hand. See the variations in the directions.
- 24 oz
- apple pie filling or jar of fried apples
- 4 cups fresh apples, cored and chopped
- 1/3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/3 c
- 3/4 c
- bisquick baking mix
- 2 pkg
- instant oatmeal, plain
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup xylitol brown sugar no-calories sweetener, like ideal brand
- 2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp
- cold butter, cut in chunks
- 1/3 c
- chopped walnuts
How to Make Caramel Apple Crisp
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place apple filling in the bottom of a greased 8- or 9-inch baking pan. I use a metal one, but it does work with glass.
- 2*OR*, place the 4 cups of apples in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and evenly pour over the cream. (You will not need the cream and sugar if using pie filling or canned apples.)
- 3Stir together bisquick, oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well combined.
- 4Using fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then stir in nuts.
- 5Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over apples and press down evenly.
- 6Bake for 55-60 minutes, until apple filling bubbles up through crust. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 9 equal servings. Top with vanilla or caramel ice cream if desired.