Caramel Apple Crisp
Today (1/12/2011) I tried making it with fresh apples instead of canned. Wonderful, plus it helped me use up some apples. I used one yellow delicious, one granny smith, and one macintosh, so you can use any type of combination of apples you have on hand. See the variations in the directions.
24 ozapple pie filling or jar of fried apples
*or*4 cups fresh apples, cored and chopped
1/3 cgranulated sugar
3/4 cbisquick baking mix
2 pkginstant oatmeal, plain
1/2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
*or*1/2 cup xylitol brown sugar no-calories sweetener, like ideal brand
2 tspground cinnamon
5 Tbspcold butter, cut in chunks
1/3 cchopped walnuts
How to Make Caramel Apple Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place apple filling in the bottom of a greased 8- or 9-inch baking pan. I use a metal one, but it does work with glass.
- *OR*, place the 4 cups of apples in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and evenly pour over the cream. (You will not need the cream and sugar if using pie filling or canned apples.)
- Stir together bisquick, oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Using fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then stir in nuts.
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over apples and press down evenly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until apple filling bubbles up through crust. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 9 equal servings. Top with vanilla or caramel ice cream if desired.