How to Make Bananas Foster
- 1Prepare and assemble the Bananas Foster at the dinner table when you are ready to serve them. Light an alcohol burner or table-top stove and set a 12-inch copper flambé or crepe-suzette pan over the flame.
- 2Arrange all the ingredients conveniently beside the pan. Place a scoop of ice cream on each of four chilled individual dessert plates and set them to one side.
- 3Combine the butter and brown sugar in the flambé pan and stir until the mixture becomes smooth syrup. Add the bananas and baste them with the syrup for 3 or 4 minutes, then sprinkle in the cinnamon
- 4Carefully pour in the banana liqueur and rum, and let the liquors warm for a few seconds. They may burst into flames spontaneously. If not, ignite them with a match. Slide the pan back and forth until the flames die, basting the bananas all the while.
- 5Place two banana halves around each scoop of ice cream, spoon the sauce over the top and serve at once.