- 1 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 large
- granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- of a 17.3-ounce package puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- confectioner's sugar (optional)
How to Make Apple Streudel
- 1Heat oven to 375°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl and set aside. Stir the granulated sugar, flour nutmeg and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Add the apples and toss to coat.
- 2Sprinkle additional flour on our work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet and roll into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. With the short side facing you, spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom half of the pastry sheet to within 1 inch of the edge. Roll up like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Tuck ends under to seal. Brush pastry with egg/water. Cut several slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- 3Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Note: Don't omit the step of tossing the apples in the flour mixture until evenly coated. This helps to thicken the juices released by the apples as they cook.