APPLE PIE BAKED IN APPLE
★★★★★ 1 vote5
5-6granny smith apples (that can stand alone)
1 Tbspbrown sugar
·pie crust (homemade or pre-mad)
How to Make APPLE PIE BAKED IN APPLE
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut off the top of 4 apples & discard. Remove the inside of these apples with a spoon or melon baller. Do not puncture the peel. Salvage as much as you can so you can use it for the filling in the next step.
- Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
- Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon and/or cinnamon, adjust as desired. Now scoop these sliced apples into the apple shells.
- Roll out your pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie.
Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
- Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
Makes 4 baked apple pies (in the apple).