Family Favorite 24-Hour Fruit Salad
- 20 ounce can of dole pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice drain and reserve 4 tablespoons of syrup
- slightly beaten egg yolks (remember to separate egg yolk from whites) beat yolks with a fork
- 4 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or margarine ( i always use blue bonnet margarine)
- 2 dash(es)
- 15 ounce can of delmonte 100% juice fruit cocktail (drained)
- 15.25 can of dole tropical mixed fruit in passion fruit (drained)
- 4 c
- tiny marshmallows
- 2 c
- prepared dream whip topping (1 packet makes 2 cups see directions below)
- envelope dream whip
- 1/2 c
- cold milk
- 1/2 tsp
INGREDIENTS FOR WHIPPED TOPPING
How to Make Family Favorite 24-Hour Fruit Salad
- 1Drain pineapple chunks in a collander over a small bowl and reserve 4 tablespoons of pineapple syrup.
- 2To make custard for fruit salad: in a small heavy saucepan, combine reserved pineapple syrup, egg yolks, sugar, vinegar, butter or margarine and salt.
*Note: as a rule I used apple cider vinegar*
- 3Cook and stir over low heat about 6 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon. It may take a little longer than 6 minutes,but when it coats the spoon it is ready. (Yes you will smell the vinegar, but don't worry, the custard will taste delicious). Cool to room temperature.
- 4In a 3 quart bowl combine pineapple chunks, fruit cocktail, and mixed fruit and marshmallows. Pour custard over; mix fruit mixture gently. (As a note: I generally make this up in a glass rectangular baking pan.)
- 5In a large bowl to make the whipped cream do the following: Mix 1 envelope of dream whip, 1/2 cup cold milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on low speed until blended. Then beat on high speed for 4 minutes until topping thickens and form peaks.
- 6Fold whipped cream into fruit mixture. Cover with some Saran Wrap and refrigerate 24 hours or overnight. Makes 10 to 12 servings.