Trifle from Scotland
- sponge layer *see note
- 1 c
- jam or preserves of your choice
- macaroon cookies, crumbled
- 1/3 c
- cream sherry** see note
- 1/3 c
- orange juice, fresh
- fruit of choice
- 4 large
- 1/4 tsp
- 6 Tbsp
- 3 c
- half and half ***see note
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp
- almond extract
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped almonds
How to Make Trifle from Scotland
- 1Split the sponge layer in half horizontally. Spread each side with half the jam. Then cut the sponge layer into fingers about 1x2 inches in size. Set aside.
*Note you can use a sponge cake layer and I will add my recipe for sponge cake. Or you can use an angel food or pound cake. You can also use twinkies cut in 1 inch slices or you can use the sponge layers that are often used for strawberry shortcake see picture then put jam on them.
- 3Mix the sherry and orange juice together and set aside.
** You can omit the sherry and just double up on orange juice or you can use a flavored rum or plain rum or bourbon with the orange juice.
- 4To make the custard: In top part of double boiler beat the eggs, salt, sugar and half and half.
*** note can use milk. Cook in double boiler over simmering water until slightly thickened stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 5For assembly: arrange 1/3 sponge fingers spread with jam over bottom of trifle bowl, sprinkle with half the macaroons and half the chopped fruit. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the orange juice and sherry. Then pour over 1/3 of the soft custard.
- 6Repeat step number 5. Then place the last 3 of the sponge layers over the top with the last part of the custard. Cover this and chill till ready to serve.
- 7When ready to serve, whip the cream with sugar and the flavorings. Spread this over the chilled trifle. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top and serve.
- 8Cooks notes: You may use any jam and fruits you like. Some of my families favorites are 1. strawberry jam with strawberries. 2. Strawberry jam with strawberries and bananas 3. sweet orange marmalade with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries 4. peach jam with peaches and raspberries 5. a non-traditional one of peanut butter and grape jelly with sliced thompson grapes