Coconut Custard Cups
How to Make Coconut Custard Cups
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place 8 ovenproof custard cups in a large lasagna pan.
- Divide the coconut into the custard cups. If someone doesn't like coconut, leave it out of theirs. =^..^=
- In a large (8 cup) measuring cup or mixing bowl, put the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix well with a mixer or a whisk. Divide equally into the custard cups.
- If desired, sprinkle with nutmeg. (Actually, I only put it on the cups without coconut, but suit yourself.)
- Set the pan of custard cups on a pulled out oven shelf.
- Fill a pitcher with hot tap water and CAREFULLY pour the hot water into the large pan to a depth of about 1 inch, taking care that the water doesn't go into the custard cups.
- CAREFULLY push the oven shelf back in place, close the oven door, and set the timer for about 45 minutes. Check with a knife to see if the knife comes out clean. If not, bake a few more minutes & check again.
- If you want browned coconut, once the custard is done, turn on the broiler and crack open the oven door. Just stand there & watch closely because when the coconut browns, it will happen QUICKLY! Cups without coconut should be removed before browning with the broiler.
- Once the custard is perfect for you, carefully remove each custard cup from the water bath & cool on a baking rack. When the custard has cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.