Apple Rum Pecan Maple Rice Pudding
But then, one day, with my own family, I experimented, and made my own, with all our favorite things in a rice pudding. Apples, Rum, Candied Pecans, Maple Syrup, with a subtle hint of pie spices. Yum! It changed my mind! Any company, to whom I have served this little dish packed full of flavors, have loved it too! I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us!
1 crice, long grain white rice
1sweet apple, (like yellow delicious, pink lady, gala), peeled,cored, and diced
½ cpecans, toasted, and chopped
1/3 c(real!) maple syrup
3 Tbspgolden rum
¼ tspground allspice
1 pinchground nutmeg
How to Make Apple Rum Pecan Maple Rice Pudding
- In good sturdy saucepan, mix milk, rice, ⅔ cup sugar, and salt.
Bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
Reduce to low, cover; simmer, stirring occasionally 20 minutes.
Add Apple; cook, covered, 20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat remaining ⅓ cup sugar and 2 Tablespoons water over high heat. Boil until light amber in color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Line baking sheet with foil; grease foil well. Spread pecans out over foil. Pour amber sugar mixture over pecans. Let cool; break or chop into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk maple syrup, and eggs. Stir in rum, allspice, and nutmeg into rice mixture.
Whisk small amount of rice mixture into maple syrup mixture.
Stir maple syrup mixture back into rice mixture; cook until thickened (160℉), about 3 minutes.
Divide among 8 cups, top with sugared pecans.
- **Note: The alcohol from the rum will boil off, so letting children eat pudding need not be a concern. However, should you not want to use alcohol for any reason, use 3 tablespoons water, and 1 to 1½ tsp. Rum extract (amount depends on the strength of your flavoring or extract; taste to suit) to replace golden rum.