Very Cherry Pie
CHERRY PIE FILLING
6 cfresh tart cherries
1/2 ctart cherry juice
1 tspvanilla or almond extract
2 call purpose flour
1 cvegetable shortening
1/2 ccold water
How to Make Very Cherry Pie
- Combine flour and salt. Add shortening about a 1/4 cup at a time, and mash with a fork until mixed. Add the cold water as needed so it doesn't stick but holds together. You want the crust to resemble cookie crumbs.
Roll into a ball, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for an hr.
- Combine cherries, sugar, cherry juice, and butter in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil while stirring so the sugar does not burn.
- Once it boils, reduce heat to simmer and leave for 20 min. Remove from heat set aside. Stir in Extract.
- Take pie crust out of the fridge and let it sit for 15 min. Divide the dough ball into 2. Gently roll out one ball and place in a prepared pie pan. Cover the edges with foil so they do not burn. Bake at 375 in a preheated oven for 20 min. Remove from oven.
- Fill pie crust with cherry filling. Roll out 2nd dough ball. You can do a lattice top or a solid top really whatever you like just cover it with something. Brush with the egg and 1 T of water mixed together.
Bake at 375 for 50 min or until set up. We enjoy ours with Vanilla Ice cream but whipped cream is also delicious! Enjoy!