MY Mile High Chocolate Cream Meringue Pie!
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c
- white granulated sugar
- 1/4 c
- heaping hersheys cocoa unsweetened
- egg yolk, reserve egg whites for meringue
- 1/4 c
- unsalted butter
- 1 can(s)
- 1 -12 oz can carnation canned milk
- 1/4 c
- or less water to add to the carnation milk to make 2 cups
- 2 tsp
- vanilla bourbon extract
- 1 dash(es)
- sea salt
How to Make MY Mile High Chocolate Cream Meringue Pie!
- 11/3 C All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 C White Sugar
1/4 "Heaping" C Hersheys Cocoa, not sweetened, (I like my Pie rich so I always put in MORE Cocoa)
3 Egg Yolks, "reserve egg whites for Meringue.
1/4 C Unsalted Butter
1 12oz. Carnation Canned Milk + enough water to make a full 2 Cups.
Dash of Salt
- 2Combine Flour, Sugar, Cocoa & Salt in medium saucepan mix thoroughly until ALL combined. In a 2 C measuring cup add a 12oz. Carnation milk + however much water to make 2 Cups, perfect amount, then add the 3 egg yolks to the milk mixture in the measuring cup MIX WELL until egg is well combined.
- 3Next SLOWLY pour milk, water and egg mixture into medium saucepan over dry ingredients while stirring constantly over medium heat, then drop in the 1/4 C. unsalted butter melt completely, mixing slowly & thoroughly, turn flame up to medium high keep mixing & adding liquid slowly until all milk is added. Make sure you bring mixture to a boil and it thickens, this can take up to 10 minutes maybe more, you want the mixture to thicken nicely, which you'll notice it does by the way it sticks to the sides of the pan, keep mixing until everything is incorporated and thick. Don't be afraid of overcooking as long as you're stirring it, it will NOT burn, watch your flame. If mixture isn't thick keep cooking. When removed from heat add Vanilla and stir until well combine, Your Pie should not be runny at all. Once cooked and thickened immediately pour into a 9" prebaked pie shell. Next prepare Meringue!
- 5My personal pie crust, for a 9" pie, if using a double crust double recipe
1/2 C. + 1/4 C. All purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt, mix will with pastry blender
add 1/4 C unsalted butter cut up NOT room temperature, Blend well with Pastry blender. Once blended Add 1 tblsp of water at a time, using a fork mix well, until dough isn't too sticky. I usually add 4 to 5 but if doubling recipe for double crust use 7-8 tblsp water. Flour surface and hands as well as rolling pin, put dough on floured surface roll out adding very little flour at a time to keep the dough from sticking to surface and rolling pin. Roll into a perfect circle, once rolled out to your pie plate size fold in half put baking dish in front of crust slip into dish halfway and unfold the other side to fit over the dish, flute to your liking. If baking crust for a cream pie prick bottom and sides and bake in hot oven 425* for 12-15 minutes depending on your oven temperature and the browning of pie crust you desire.