Southern Banana Pudding
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/3 call-purpose flour
2 cwhole milk
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 boxvanilla wafers
5ripe bananas, sliced
1/4 cwhite sugar, for meringue
pinchcream of tartar
How to Make Southern Banana Pudding
- In a saucepan on low heat, whisk together 1/2 c. sugar, flour and salt.
- Add in the milk and cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 10-12 minutes).
- Whisk in the 3 egg yolks and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla.
- In a 1 1/2 quart casserole, place a layer of the wafers on the bottom and top with a layer of bananas.
- Top with 1/3 of the custard.
- Continue repeating for 3 layers.
- Ending with custard.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, gradually adding in the 1/4 c sugar and cream of tartar.
- Spoon meringue over the top.
- Place in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
- Remove and garnish with more vanilla wafers around the edges. Let cool slightly and serve or refrigerate. (I like mine served warm).