Catherine Cappiello Pappas
Galettes can be savory or sweet, but with peaches in season I couldn’t help myself.
I made this for company earlier in the week and it exceeded everyone’s expectations. All that is needed with this dessert is a cup of coffee…and perhaps a dollop of whipped cream if so desired.
- for sweet buttery crust:
- 1½ cups flour (i used lubella, but all-purpose is fine)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons cream (heavy or light cream will do. if you have none on hand, full fat milk is fine)
- for peach filling:
- 5 peaches, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
How to Make Peach Galette
- 1In a bowl, gently toss together sliced peaches, vanilla, starch and sugar. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Whisk in one egg until the mixture is crumbly.
Add cold butter and shortening. Mix with hands until a soft dough begins to form.
Add cream one teaspoon at a time - the amount of cream may vary.
Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
On a flat surface, flour a sheet of parchment paper. Roll out chilled dough into a circle about ¼-inch thick.
Spoon peaches into the center and gently use the parchment paper to fold over the edges of the dough (this is a very delicate dough). Lift the parchment paper to transfer the galette onto a cookie sheet.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the center is bubbling and the edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
If desired serve with whipped cream.