1 1/2 calmond flour
3 Tbspunsalted butter at room temperature
1 pinchbaking soda
3 largeegg yolks, reserve whites
1/4 cfreshly squeezed lemon juice
3 largeegg whites, beaten stiff
1/2 cyogurt, homemade from whole milk
How to Make Lemon Freeze
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a bowl using a fork and then your hands, until dough comes together in a ball.
- Flatten the dough into a disk.
- Lift the removable base from a 9 or 10-inch flan pan and cover it with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Place the flattened dough onto the parchment paper.
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and roll the dough out to the edges of the parchment paper.
- Return the base with the rolled-out dough on the flan ring and, with your fingers, gently press the edges of the dough about a 1/4 inch or so up the sides of the pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, honey, and lemon juice in a double boiler or in a glass bowl sitting above a pot of boiling water. Cook the mixture until it turns from thin, frothy and bright yellow to thick, creamy, and butter-colored consistency, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the hear and let cool at room temperature. To speed up the process, place the glass bowl in a larger bowl with ice.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the yogurt into the cooled lemon mixture.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour the entire mixture into the cooled crust and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and let stand in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before serving.