Grandmas Best-Ever Lemon Meringue Pie
1 1/2 csugar
1 1/2 cwater
4 largeegg yolks (slightly beaten)
1/2 clemon juice
1 tspgreated lemon peel (zest)
4 largeegg whies
1baked pie shell
How to Make Grandmas Best-Ever Lemon Meringue Pie
- Combine sugar, 1 1/2 cups water and salt in saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Mix cornstarch and 1/2 cup water to make smooth paste; add to boiling mixture gradually, stirring constantly; cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks and lemon juice stir into thickened mixture.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring constanly Until mixture bubbles again.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel (zest)
- Cover and cool until lukewarm.
- For Meringue
- add salt to egg whites; beat until frothy.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until glossy peaks are formed.
- Stir 2 rounded tablespoons of meringue into lukewarm filling.
- Pour filling into cool pie shell, pile remaining meringue on top and spread lightly over filling' spreading evenly to edge of crust
- Bake in slow oven 325 degrees about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack at least 1 hour before cutting.