Custard Pie with Pine Nuts & Almonds
This is a traditional Tuscan dessert. The combination of rich pastry, delicate custard and toasted nuts makes for a special treat indeed.
Torta della Nonna translates as the “Grandmother’s cake”.
Hope you will enjoy this very special treat.
- for the pastry
- 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- 4/5 c
- egg yolks
- lemon, zested
- 2 oz
- raw almonds, garnish
- for the custard filling
- 2/3 c
- 1 pt
- egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh vanilla pod
- 5 oz
- pine nuts, lightly toasted
How to Make Custard Pie with Pine Nuts & Almonds
- 1For the Custard:
- 2Split open the vanilla pod and place in a saucepan with the milk. Bring to the boil gently.
- 3In a large bowl, vigorously beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the result is light in color and frothy.
- 4Add the flour and beat well.
- 5Add the milk gradually (remove the vanilla pod, scraping out the seeds into the milk), beating constantly with a whisk.
- 6Slowly reheat, stirring constantly, always in the same direction, until quite thick.
- 7It will thicken even more once it cools. Allow to cool with clingfilm (saran wrap) touching it so that a skin does not form.
- 8Add the toasted pine nuts to the cooled custard.
- 9For the Base:
- 10Line a large (30 cm, 12 in) ovenproof tart dish with baking paper.
- 11On a wooden work surface, mix together the flour, sugar and butter, cut into little pieces.
- 12Rub the butter into the flour and sugar, until it is completely worked in. Work lightly so that the butter does not melt.
- 13Make a mound out of this mixture and make a well in the center. Add the eggs yolks and lemon zest.
- 14Work the ingredients together, first with a fork, then with your hands, until you have a smooth, soft pastry dough.
- 15Wrap the pastry dough in clingfilm and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
**Ideally 2 hours, especially in warm weather**
- 16To assemble:
- 17Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F
- 18After the pastry has rested in the refrigerator, divide in two, and delicately roll out one half to the size of the tart dish (approx 1 cm/half inch thickness).
- 19Pour in the custard.
- 20Roll out the remaining pastry dough and place on top of the custard, closing the pie.
- 21Decorate with the almonds.
Try not to handle the pastry too much at this stage.
- 22Bake at 170°C/340°F for 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the almonds toasted.
- 23Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.