1pie shell, baked
1/3 call purpose flour
6 Tbspcocoa powder
2 cwhole milk
3egg yolks. slightly beaten (reserve whites)
2 tsppure vanilla extract
FOR THE MERINGUE
3reserved egg whites
1/4 tspcream of tartar
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make CHOCOLATE PIE
- In the top of a double boiler, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 6 tablespoons cocoa.
- Add 2 cups milk and mix well.
- Stir and cook over boiling water for 10 minutes, until thickened. (Do not let pan sit in the boiling water.)
- Remove from heat and add about 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture to the eggs and stir well.
- Add egg mixture back to pan and mix well.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add shortening, butter and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Cool for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour into baked crust placed on a cookie sheet (for ease of handling.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread meringue over pie and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned, turning once.