Chinese - Egg Custard Tarts with Bananas & Caramel
I have posted this here for play in Culinary Quest.
Special equipment required to make these a 3 1/2-inch plain cutter.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 Tbspunsalted butter, softened, plus more, melted, for greasing the pan
2premade unbaked refrigerated pie crusts
1 1/4 cwhole milk
1/2 cwhole milk
2 largeegg yolks
1/2 cpacked light brown sugar
1/2 tspground cinnamon
2 mediumbananas, thinly sliced into half-moons
·thick caramel sauce, for serving
How to Make Chinese - Egg Custard Tarts with Bananas & Caramel
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-portion nonstick muffin tin with melted butter.
- Cut circles out of the pie crusts using a 3 1/2-inch plain cutter and transfer them to the cups of the muffin tin.
- Press the dough evenly into the edges of each muffin cup, lining the sides.
- Whisk the milk, confectioners' sugar, egg yolks and egg together in a large glass measuring cup until smooth.
- Carefully pour the milk-sugar mixture into each crust, leaving 1/8 inch at the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the pastry begins to brown, the filling is set but still jiggles, and a toothpick inserted into the center of a tart comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until completely melted.
- Stir in the butter and cinnamon until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and cool.
- To serve, arrange about 5 banana slices on top of each tart, overlapping them in a flower petal pattern.
- Serve the tarts immediately with caramel sauce drizzled over the top.