"Chicken-Pox Pie" aka Blueberry Pie
- 8 c
- fresh blueberries (yes that's a lot!)
- 1 c
- sugar + 1/4 cup water
- 4 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- lemon rind, grated
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
2 INDIVIDUAL DEEP DISH PIE CRUSTS
How to Make "Chicken-Pox Pie" aka Blueberry Pie
- 1In sauce pan, combine 1 1/2 cups of berries with 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Mash up berries so that their juice is well incorporated.
- 2Simmer on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid. Should be a lovely dark blueberry color. About 5 minutes.
- 3In separate bowl, combine cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of water and gradually pour it into the hot blueberry/sugar syrup mixture while continually stirring - making sure that it doesn't cause lumps.
- 4Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. It should thicken and be glossy and clear.
- 5Remove from the heat and add the lemon rind, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- 6Into a large bowl, pour the hot mixture and cool until warm.
- 7Fold in the remaining 6 1/2 cups of blueberries.
- 8Let berry mixture cool while you make 2 pie crusts. This recipe is made for a DEEP Dish pan so store-bought crusts, even ones that "say" they are deep dish will probably not work.
- 9Add blueberry mixture and add lattice top. If you kept out excess crust you can embellish it as well. This is where some folks sprinkle on a little extra sugar.
- 10Preheat oven to 400 degrees F bit reduce heat to 375 degrees F when you put the pie in the oven. Bake about 50 minutes, but check at the half-way point. If the edges are getting too brown, cover them with a strip of foil.
- 11Note: Because recipe is written for REAL blueberry lovers and has so many berries - you should measure your pie pan before you start measuring out the berries. Also plan to have vanilla ice cream on the side - it seems that it is the topping of choice. The slices may not come out of the pan looking very pretty, but my family puts them in a bowl with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream on it, so nobody notices!