Authentic German/Amish Custard Cheese Pie
16 ozlarge curd cottage cheese
1 cwhite sugar or splenda
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1 tsplemon juice, fresh
2 can(s)evaporated milk (12 oz)
2 tsppure vanilla extract
29 inch pie crust shell (i use deep dish)
How to Make Authentic German/Amish Custard Cheese Pie
- Place cottage cheese in a strainer and let drain about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is drained.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, sugar (or Splenda), flour, lemon juice, vanilla, salt, egg yolks, & evaporated milk. Mix well
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until firm. Fold firm egg whites into the batter until smooth.
- Pour batter into pie crusts and sprinkle with cinnamon. Use a little or a lot depending on your taste. I use a lot.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center of each pie comes out clean.
- Cool on racks, then refrigerate. Flavor improves if served a day after baking.