Authentic German/Amish Custard Cheese Pie
- 16 oz
- large curd cottage cheese
- 1 c
- white sugar or splenda
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- lemon juice, fresh
- 1 pinch
- egg yolk
- egg white
- 2 can(s)
- evaporated milk (12 oz)
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 9 inch pie crust shell (i use deep dish)
How to Make Authentic German/Amish Custard Cheese Pie
- 1Place cottage cheese in a strainer and let drain about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is drained.
- 2Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- 3In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, sugar (or Splenda), flour, lemon juice, vanilla, salt, egg yolks, & evaporated milk. Mix well
- 4In a separate bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until firm. Fold firm egg whites into the batter until smooth.
- 5Pour batter into pie crusts and sprinkle with cinnamon. Use a little or a lot depending on your taste. I use a lot.
- 6Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center of each pie comes out clean.
- 7Cool on racks, then refrigerate. Flavor improves if served a day after baking.