How to Make Aunt Colleen's Chocolate Pie Filling or Pudding
- Mix together dry ingredients in 4 to 6 qt sauce pan.. Add egg yolks and milk. Mix well. Add butter and cook over medium heat stirring constantly after mixture starts to thicken. Add vanilla after mixture is desired thickness. Pour into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Top pies with meringue and brown in oven.
- For coconut pie omit cocoa and add 1 cup flaked coconut after filling is cooked. sprinkle a small amount of coconut on meringue before browning
- For banana pudding omit cocoa (if desired) add 4 cups sliced bananas to warm pudding line a bowl with vanilla wafers pour a 1 inch layer of pudding add another layer of wafers and repeat until all pudding is used. Chill several hours or overnight. If desired you can top with meringue and brown
to make even easier dump the box of wafers into the pudding and mix well. top with meringue
- For tropical pudding omit cocoa. Add 1 cup coconut, 1 cup rinsed and well drained pineapple chunks or 1 small can rinsed and well drained crushed pineapple and 2 cup sliced bananas, add 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans if desired
- For a creamier pudding/pie filling use cake flour instead of regular flour. If you don't have cake flour measure flour and put in food processor or blender for about a minute