Strawberry-Lychee Spring Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Ching-He Huang. Posted here for play in Culinary Quest.
3 Tbspcrystal decorating sugar or regular sugar
8canned, lychees, drained and quartered lengthwise
8 largeripe strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 Tbspground cinnamon
126-inch square spring roll wrappers
4 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
·ice cream, your favorite flavor, for serving
How to Make Strawberry-Lychee Spring Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss 1 tablespoon of the sugar and the cornstarch with the lychees and strawberries in a large bowl until combined.
- Mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper on a work surface with a corner pointing toward you and brush the surface lightly with melted butter.
- Put 1 heaping tablespoon of the lychee mixture into the center of the wrapper.
- Bring the two side corners together so they meet over the filling.
- Bring the bottom corner up over the filling and roll the wrapper tightly around the fruit.
- Set the spring roll on the baking sheet with the exposed corner down; continue rolling with the remaining fruit and wrappers.
- Brush butter all over the surface of the rolls and sprinkle each with a little of the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until light golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Do not overbake - the fruit will begin to break down as it cooks and can ooze out of the wrappers.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving with a scoop of ice cream alongside.