Strawberry-Lychee Spring Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Ching-He Huang. Posted here for play in Culinary Quest.
- 3 Tbsp
- crystal decorating sugar or regular sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- canned, lychees, drained and quartered lengthwise
- 8 large
- ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 Tbsp
- ground cinnamon
- 6-inch square spring roll wrappers
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, melted
- ice cream, your favorite flavor, for serving
How to Make Strawberry-Lychee Spring Rolls
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Toss 1 tablespoon of the sugar and the cornstarch with the lychees and strawberries in a large bowl until combined.
- 3Mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- 4Lay a spring roll wrapper on a work surface with a corner pointing toward you and brush the surface lightly with melted butter.
- 5Put 1 heaping tablespoon of the lychee mixture into the center of the wrapper.
- 6Bring the two side corners together so they meet over the filling.
- 7Bring the bottom corner up over the filling and roll the wrapper tightly around the fruit.
- 8Set the spring roll on the baking sheet with the exposed corner down; continue rolling with the remaining fruit and wrappers.
- 9Brush butter all over the surface of the rolls and sprinkle each with a little of the cinnamon sugar.
- 10Bake until light golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- 11Do not overbake - the fruit will begin to break down as it cooks and can ooze out of the wrappers.
- 12Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving with a scoop of ice cream alongside.