Maggie May Schill
I've been making them for years, but recently started adding pumpkin to the mix during the autumn months. It adds a delicious, modern touch to this classic baked good. YUM!
4 call-purpose flour
1 1/2 csugar
2 largeeggs, well beaten
1 cpumpkin puree
1/2 cbutter milk
1/2 cbutter, unsalted (softened)
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspbaking powder
1 Tbsporange zest
1/2 Tbsplemon zest
1 1/2 tsppumpkin pie spices
How to Make Pumpkin Kringla
- In a mixing bowl, cream sugar, pumpkin, and butter together.
Mix eggs into sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- In another mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Mix butter milk and zests together.
- Add butter milk mixture and flour mixture to the sugar mixture, alternating between butter milk and flour until all the ingredients are completely incorporated into a stiff dough.
- Chill dough for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425'F
- Roll dough out into 1/2 inch ropes. Tie ropes into any shape knot you desire.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Use an egg wash before baking, if desired, to get a more glossy finish.
Cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Glaze with a simple sugar icing if desired for a neat look.