Old fashioned raised doughnuts
How to Make Old fashioned raised doughnuts
- Scald milk.add sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water; or crumble compressed yeast into lukewarm (85°) water. Stir til dissolved.
- Add milk mixture, 2 cups flour,and nutmeg.beat well.
- Stir in shortening, then eggs.
- Add remaining flour, kneading in last portion on lightly floured surface.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Turn out in lightly floured board. Roll dough 1/3" thick; cut.
- Remove trimmings and form into ball. When doubled, roll out and cut.
- Let cut doughnuts rise til very light (30-40 minutes). Leave uncovered so crust will form. Pick up on floured wide spatula and ease into deep hot fat (375°). Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain. Makes 2 dozen..