Grammy Peg's Keuchels
It takes all day to make these, but worth it. So invite a friend or two over to help and keep the coffee pot going.
- 1 doz. eggs
- 1 lb.oleo
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 cakes of yeast
- 1 qt.+1pt.potato water (water white potatoes have been cooked in).
- 1 c. sugar
- 20 c. flour (more or less)
- powdered sugar for sprinkling on fried keuchel
How to Make Grammy Peg's Keuchels
- 1Add yeast to warm potato water--when yeast is dissolved, add sugar and four cups of flour. Let rise until double in bulk.
- 2Add rest of ingredients and then the remaining flour, gradually working it all into batter until thick but not sticky. Let rise until double, knead, rise a second time, knead.
- 3Using melted lard, grease hands and pinch off rounds of dough about 2 inches in diameter and shape like round buns. Place on a lint-free cloth, cover and let them rise again.
- 4Shape by pulling the dough from the center outward until about 4 inches in diameter. The keuchel should be flat in the center and round around the sides, something like a donut except these have a thin membrane of dough in the center.
- 5Place in hot lard until lightly browned. Flip over to brown other side. Important to turn only ONCE.
- 6Drain on absorbent paper ( Gramma always used brown paper bags)
- 7Sprinkle with powdered sugar.