2 Tbspgranulated sugar
1/4 cdry white vermouth
·oil as needed
2 lbricotta cheese
1-1/2 cpowdered sugar
4 tspvanilla extract
1/4 cchopped citron
1/4 cchopped orange peel
·powdered sugar for garnish
·chocolate shavings for garnish
How to Make CANNOLI (SALLYE)
- TO MAKE SHELLS:
Sift flour, salt and sugar into large mixing bowl.
Whisk egg until yolk and white are blended.
Cut butter into small pieces.
- Make a well in flour center and add egg and butter to bowl.
Using a fork, stir from the center out until blended.
- Add vermouth, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough begins to cling together.
- Form dough into a ball.
Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place dough on floured board and roll out until very thin.
Cut into 3-1/2" circles.
Roll circles into ovals.
- Wrap around cannoli forms and seal edge with egg white.
Fry 2 or 3 at a time in deep hot oil about 1 minute until lightly golden, turning once.
Remove from oil with tongs and lay on paper towels to drain.
Let cool about 15 minutes then slip out of form carefuly.
IMPORTANT: Cool shells completely before filling.
- FOR FILLING:
Beat Ricotta cheese with mixer until very smooth.
- Fold in remaining ingredients. and place in fridge to chill for several hours.
- Fill shells just before serving.
NOTE: If shells are filled more than an hour before serving, shells may become soft.
- Sift powdered sugar over filled shells, then sprinkle chocolate shavings over each shell.