★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cwheat bran
1/2 cvegetable oil
1/3 cbrown sugar
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspbaking powder
How to Make Bran Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Muffins cook differently (are dryer) when cooked in paper liners.
- Stir together wheat bran and buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk, take 1 cup *whole* milk and remove 1 Tbs. Then stir in 1 Tbs lemon juice and let sit for 10 minutes. Set wheat bran and buttermilk mixture aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk dry ingredients together for at least 30 seconds. Set aside. In separate bowl, whisk together vanilla, oil and egg. Then whisk in brown sugar.
- Add wheat brown/buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until the flour is incorporated. Do not overstir or beat too hard as this will make tough muffins.
- Divide into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes. I check at 15 minutes (if top looks dry) by inserting a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they're done. You don't want to overbake muffins. They may not be burned, but they'll be less moist.
- Tip muffins onto a wire rack and cool (or serve warm). I usually have to use a small fork and gently lift the muffin from the edge to release.