Belle Melange (a beautiful mess)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 stickunsalted butter
1/2loaf french bread or baguette with the crust, cut into small cubes
1 lbbrown sugar, firmly packed (light or dark your preference, i like the dark)
1 1/2 cwater
1 1/2 tspground cinnamon
2large baking apples, (i use granny smith and honeycrisp)
8 ozcream cheese (cold and chopped)
1 cwhipping cream (optional)
1 cchopped peacans or walnuts (optional)
How to Make Belle Melange (a beautiful mess)
- Preheat the oven to 350, and butter a 13x9 baking dish
- Melt the stick of butter in a medium sauce pan, add the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown and crisp. Remove the bread and turn the oven up to 400
- Combined the sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, combine the apples, nuts, cream cheese, and toasted bread cubes. Drizzle with sugar syrup and stir to evenly distribute.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes stirring 2-3 times.
- Then bake an additional 5 minutes without stirring, until the top is golden brown and crusty, and most of the liquid is gone. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.