Belle Melange (a beautiful mess)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- loaf french bread or baguette with the crust, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb
- brown sugar, firmly packed (light or dark your preference, i like the dark)
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- large baking apples, (i use granny smith and honeycrisp)
- 8 oz
- cream cheese (cold and chopped)
- 1 c
- whipping cream (optional)
- 1 c
- chopped peacans or walnuts (optional)
How to Make Belle Melange (a beautiful mess)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350, and butter a 13x9 baking dish
- 2Melt the stick of butter in a medium sauce pan, add the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly
- 3Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown and crisp. Remove the bread and turn the oven up to 400
- 4Combined the sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
- 5In a very large bowl, combine the apples, nuts, cream cheese, and toasted bread cubes. Drizzle with sugar syrup and stir to evenly distribute.
- 6Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes stirring 2-3 times.
- 7Then bake an additional 5 minutes without stirring, until the top is golden brown and crusty, and most of the liquid is gone. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.