Roll-Out Sugar Cookies - gluten free!
This recipe is from Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone, a cookbook FILLED with wonderful, must-have, easy to prepare recipes!
Photo is for this recipe from same cookbook (see above)
2 1/2 cwhite rice flour plus more for dusting
1 csweet rice flour
1 1/2 tspxanthan gum (or guar gum)
3/4 cbutter (1 1/2 sticks) softened
1 1/2 cgranulated sugar
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1/4 cwater - as needed!
How to Make Roll-Out Sugar Cookies - gluten free!
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl
- In a medium bowl, cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy (medium speed with either handheld or stand mixer). Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition
- Add dry ingredients & vanilla & blend 'til dough. (If a sandy mass forms instead of a dough ball, add 1/4 cup water and mix for 30 seconds. If a dough comes together on its own, omit water water from recipe)
- Divide dough in half. Pat dough into rounds, wrap tightly with plastic wrap & chill 4hrs or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove dough from the refrigerator & allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Generously dist a clean, dry surface with rice flour. Roll dough out about 1/4 inch thick. Using assorted cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cut-outs onto prepared sheets.
- Bake 1st sheet of cookies until lightly golden brown (baking time will vary accordingly with size of cookies)
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and cool on wire racks for 3-5 minutes then transfer cookies directly onto racks to cool completely.
While 1st sheet is cooling, bake 2nd sheet of cookies.
- Ice / decorate cookies as desired.
*If using decorators sugar, sprinkle onto cookie cut-outs before baking.
**For a softer cookie, bake only til edges just start to show a light brown
***Long term freshness but cookies will become more crisp as time goes. These cookies freeze well!