Chocolate Topped Orange Cookies
Leslie Speed Dutton
The kids love to put the chocolate chips on and make designs with the toothpicks.
1 cunsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 csugar
1 Tbspfresh grated orange zest
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/4 cfresh orange juice
1/3 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Topped Orange Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter, sugar and orange zest, until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with orange juice; blend well.
- Scoop up dough into rounded 1-inch diameter portions and place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and add a chocolate chip to the top of each hot cookie. Allow a minute for the chocolate to soften then spread with the edge of a toothpick using parallel strokes (this gives the appearance of drizzled-on chocolate).
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to let cookies cool and chocolate solidify. Store in an airtight container.
- Note: Use only the thin orange peel, not the bitter white pith beneath.