Chinese - New Year Almond Cookies
These crispy cookies are tender on the inside and very flavorful. I'm looking forward to making these.
Recipes courtesy of The Canadian Living Test Kitchen.
Posted here for the Culinary Quest.
3/4 cbutter, softened
3/4 cgranulated sugar
1 1/2 tspalmond extract
1/2 tspvanilla extract
3 call-purpose flour
1/2 cground almonds
1 1/4baking powder
70blanched whole almonds, (about 2/3 cup/150 ml)
How to Make Chinese - New Year Almond Cookies
- In large bowl, beat together butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, almond extract and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds and baking powder; add to butter mixture and stir to form stiff dough.
- Roll dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) into balls.
- Place, 2 inches (5 cm) apart, on greased or parchment paper?lined rimless baking sheet; top each with whole almond, pressing into dough.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tsp (5 mL) water; brush over cookies.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until edges are light golden, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.)