Chestnut Chocolate Italian Christmas Pillow Cookie
- 1 Cup jar(s)
- steamed or roasted chestnuts (not water chestnuts!)
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp
- amber rum
- 2 tsp
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp
- ground ginger (option)
- 1/4 c
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- refrigerated pie crusts (room temperature)
- 1 large
- beaten egg
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1/3 c
- granulated sugar
How to Make Chestnut Chocolate Italian Christmas Pillow Cookie
- 1Center your oven rack in over and preheat to 425 degrees
Line a rimmed large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- 2Place sugar, cocoa and chestnuts in food processor and blend until chestnuts are finely ground. Then add cinnamon, cloves ginger, and rum. Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides of processor as necessary. Add chocolate chips, and pulse until combined.
- 3Unroll room temperature pie crusts on a work surface and, using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 10 rounds from each crust. Work one pie crust at a time. Brush the pastry rounds with the beaten egg to cover.
- 4Drop 1 generous teaspoon of the filling into the center of each round. Fold half of the dough over the filling and seal to make a half-circle shape. Brush the top of the half-circle closed dough with the beaten egg. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 17 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.