Chestnut Chocolate Italian Christmas Pillow Cookie
1 Cup jar(s)steamed or roasted chestnuts (not water chestnuts!)
2 Tbspamber rum
2 tspunsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tspground cinnamon
1/4 tspground cloves
1/8 tspground ginger (option)
1/4 cmini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3-4refrigerated pie crusts (room temperature)
1 largebeaten egg
·powdered sugar for dusting
1/3 cgranulated sugar
How to Make Chestnut Chocolate Italian Christmas Pillow Cookie
- Center your oven rack in over and preheat to 425 degrees
Line a rimmed large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Place sugar, cocoa and chestnuts in food processor and blend until chestnuts are finely ground. Then add cinnamon, cloves ginger, and rum. Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides of processor as necessary. Add chocolate chips, and pulse until combined.
- Unroll room temperature pie crusts on a work surface and, using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 10 rounds from each crust. Work one pie crust at a time. Brush the pastry rounds with the beaten egg to cover.
- Drop 1 generous teaspoon of the filling into the center of each round. Fold half of the dough over the filling and seal to make a half-circle shape. Brush the top of the half-circle closed dough with the beaten egg. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.