Black Forest Cookies
Leslie Speed Dutton
1/2 cunsalted butter (1 stick)
1 3/4 call purpose flour
1/3 ccocoa powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
3 Tbspkirsch (cherry brandy)*
1 cdried tart cherries
1/4 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Black Forest Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Whisk together flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into creamed butter mixture along with cherry brandy. Mix until well blended. Stir in dried cherries.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (2-teaspoon sized cookie scoop or rounded teaspoon amounts). Roll balls in powdered sugar and place 2-inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tops feel firm when touched.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool. Store in airtight container.
- Note: *Kirsch can be substituted with 1 teaspoon of almond extract plus 2 Tablespoons of water.