Very Intense Chocolate Slab with Kahlua Custard Sa
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- kahlua custard sauce, recipe follows
How to Make Very Intense Chocolate Slab with Kahlua Custard Sa
- 1Cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom and long sides of a loaf pan. It should hang over sides by a few inches, as you’re going to use this as a sling to remove slab from pan.
- 2In a large pot, bring cream to a boil. Make sure to use a pot that’s large enough so cream doesn’t overflow. Remove from heat as soon as it boils. Whisk in both chocolates til completely melted. add almond, vanilla and butter and whisk til smooth.
- 3Pour mixture into prepared pan, but be careful to keep the paper in place. Chill in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight (I love make ahead stuff, and this dessert is perfect for that).
when slab is very firm, run a knife around ends to loosen and lift out by holding ends of paper. Slice into 3/4 inch “slabs” using a long thin knife. It will be easier to slice if you have a damp cloth or paper towel handy to wipe the blade clean in between slices.
- 4Put each slice on a dessert plate and pour Kahlua custard sauce around it to cover plate. Grate or shave some semisweet chocolate onto the sauce and serve.
- 5Kahlua Custard Sauce:
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cram
1/4 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. Kahlua
Put milk and cream into large pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat an whisk in about half of the sugar. In large bowl, mix remaining sugar, egg yolks and salt and set aside. Return cram mixture to stove over medium heat. When cram starts to simmer, reduce heat and add the yolk mixture. Whisk for 3 minutes or til thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add vanilla and Kahua and blend well. Pour through a strainer into shallow bowl and refrigerate til cold.
Serves 8 to 10