Frozen Chocolate Mousse
Hint: First measure everything into small prep bowls or containers. You will be glad you did. Use high quality ingredients, no cheap chocolate chips or bargain ice cream. This requires 4 types of prep: baking the almond crust, using the mixer for egg whites and whipped cream, stovetop cooking and folding, and then freezing overnight. I usually toast raw almonds but you can buy them already toasted and it will work fine. It takes time to make this recipe but it is worth it!
2/3 ctoasted slivered almonds, crushed
1/2 cgraham craker crumbs
3 Tbspmelted butter
1 pthaagen das vanilla or coffee ice cream
6 ozguittard semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 largeeggs, separate whites from yolks
1/2 cwhipping cream
2 Tbspdark rum
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Mousse
- CRUST: Crush toasted almonds using a rolling pin. Divide almonds into two prep bowls, 1/3 c each. Combine 1/3 c. almonds with graham cracker crumbs, 1 Tbsp. of the sugar and the melted butter. Pack in an 8" spring form pan or cake pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 8 minutes. Cool, then place in freezer until chilled.
- ICE CREAM LAYER: Spoon slightly softened ice cream over crumb crust, spreading evenly. Return to freezer.
- MOUSSE: Beat egg whites to soft peaks in small mixer bowl. Add 1 Tbsp. sugar and mix well. Set aside. Beat whipping cream to soft peaks. Set aside. Beat egg yolks in large bowl. Melt chocolate over hot water. Slowly pour warm chocolate into egg yolks while beating. Add rum. Fold in egg whites, then fold in whipped cream. From remaining 1/3 c. crushed almonds, remove 2 Tbsp. and set aside in small prep bowl. Add remaining nuts to chocolate mixture.
- ASSEMBLY: Pour chocolate mousse mixture over ice cream layer. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. almonds.
Freeze several hours.
- SERVE: Cut into wedges and serve.If desired, can top wedges with whipped cream infused with 1 tbsp. dark rum.