- 2 1/3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- light corn syrup
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 tsp
- egg whites
- red, green, or yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- pecans or walnuts, coarsely choped
How to Make Vanilla Divinity
- 1Cook the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt to 264 degrees F.,or until it forms a hard, almost brittle ball if dropped in cold water, stirring only until the sugar is dissolved.
- 2When the syrup is almost ready, beat the egg whites in an electric mixer or with a rotary hand beater untill stiff. Add the syrup in a fine stream, beating constantly. Replace the beater with a wooden spoon when the mixture becomes heavy. If desired, color the mixture pink, green or yellow. Add the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture just holds its shape when dropped from a spoon.
- 3Add the nuts, mixing quickly. Drop as speedily as possible, by rounded teaspoonfuls on lightly greased surface or turn the divinity into a greased 8X8 inch pan. Coat with melted semisweet chocolate and sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cool, turn out of the pan, invert the candy and cut it into squares.
Almond Divinity: Substitute toasted slivered almonds for the pecans or walnuts and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla.
Fruit Divinity: Substitute 3/4 cup any chopped, candied fruit or raisins for the pecans or walnuts.
Coconut Divinity: Substitute flaked coconut for the pecans or walnuts
Ginger Divinity: Substitute 1/3 cup chopped candied ginger for 1/3 cup nuts.