Quinoa Coconut Truffles
- 1/2 c
- 10 oz
- chopped chocolate of your choice, bitter, semi, chips
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp
- light corn syrup
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 3/4 c
- shredded sweetened coconut
How to Make Quinoa Coconut Truffles
- 1Rinse quinoa under running water for a minute or so to remove bitter coating. Lay out to dry a bit (not absolutely necessary, but you've got time whole you make the truffles)
- 2Make truffles. Place the chocolate and butter in a medium sized glass bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir when finished and microwave again for another 30 seconds. Stir again and set aside.
- 3Heat the heavy cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and pour the mixture over the melted chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- 4Using a rubber spatula stir gently until all chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and all the chocolate is, melted.
- 5Pour the mixture into an 8x8 glass baking dish and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. The 8x8 dish is not absolutely necessary, it does help evenly cool the chocolate and helps create a nice consistency to the truffle.
- 6After the hour is up, remove chocolate from fridge and using a melon baller, scoop chocolate onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. They will not be completely round. Return to fridge for 30 minutes.
- 7While the truffles are chilling...Pop Quinoa! Heat a heavy bottomed on medium high. Drop a sprinkling of the quinoa into pan (no oil is needed). When quinoa starts to bounce and pop you know the pan is hot enough. Add the rest of the quinoa to the pan. As the quinoa starts to pop, shake pan to keep quinoa from burning. As popping starts to subside, remove quinoa from pan into a small bowl.
- 8Coconut flake can be toasted or not. I would chop large flake coconut a bit finer. Mix coconut flakes together with quinoa. Put mixture onto a large flat dish of some kind, a plate or baking pan. You want to be able to apply the topping lightly and add more to taste.
- 9Repeat until all the truffles are coated. Allow to set in a cool dry place for an hour or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.