How to Make Peppermint Bark
- Crush Peppermint candies. I put them in a zip lock and beat them with a rolling pin or meat hammer. Doesn't matter if it's candy canes or round peppermints. They all taste pretty much the same.
- Use a wire strainer to separate the shards and powdered candy from the larger pieces.
- Line a large cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Melt the white chocolate. I feel you get the best results when using a double boiler. If you don't have one, (I don't) fill a sauce pan with water, and put your chocolate in metal mixing bowl that fits on top of the sauce pan. Make sure the hold the bowl with a potholder. The steam will heat the bowl and melt the chocolate. If you choose to go with the microwave option (commonly on the bags of chocolate) take care to not over heat the chocolate as it will make your candy grainy. (not smooth)
- Mix powder & shards of peppermint candy into warm melted chocolate.
- Pour the still warm chocolate/peppermint mixture onto the cookie sheet and spread it out. It should be thin.
- Sprinkle peppermint pieces on top of the chocolate, and press in lightly. Refrigerate for at least a hour until chocolate is hard. Then break apart into pieces, and store in a tin. (I line my tins in wax paper or parchment paper.)