Poppy Seed Cake
1 1/4 cwhole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cplain full-fat yogurt
2 tspblue poppy seeds
1/2 cbutter, softened
1/4 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspbaking powder
How to Make Poppy Seed Cake
- Sift the whole wheat flour, first, to remove larger pieces of bran, if not using whole wheat pastry flour. Butter and flour a 1 1/2 quart pyrex baking dish.
- Cream butter and honey together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs in, one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternately with the yogurt.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F until it tests done with a toothpick. Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes in pan, and then invert onto cooling rack.
- This little cake keeps well. I never frost it.