- 2¾ cup cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup orange juice,freshly squeezed
- ½ cup butter unsalted, room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons of freshly grated orange peel
How to Make Orange Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour baking pan(s), one 13x9x2, or two 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- 3In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vanilla and orange juice; set aside.
- 4In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients; set aside.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, shortening, and sugar until well blended. Add in the eggs and mix for 1 minute.
- 6Mix in the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients, and mix for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in the orange peel and the walnuts and mix for ½ minute. Pour into prepared pan(s).
- 8Bake for 25-30 minutes or until wooden tooth pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- 9Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost cake with a vanilla buttercream or cooked flour frosting.
- 10You can tint some icing orange and swirl that onto the cake that has been covered with white icing, giving it a Dreamsicle/Creamsicle ice cream bar look. :) look.**