- 3 cups
- sifted cake flour
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp.
- 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves( slightly heaping)
- 3/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cup
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- lemon juice
- 1 cup
- apple cider
How to Make OCTOBER CAKE(cider&spice)
- 1Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl..set aside..cream shortening and sugar together in a seperate bowl; add eggs; beat until thoroughly blended.
- 2Add lemon juice to cider. Add alternately with dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating after each addition.
- 3Pour batter into 3 greased 8" pans. Bake in moderate oven( 350°) 25 to 30 minutes.let stand 10 min..turn out to cool..place in freezer for quick cool down..when cool, spread cider filling between layers; then frost with creamy cider icing.. As follows:
- 4CIDER FILLING: combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 tso. Salt, and 3 TBSP. Cornstarch in sauce pan. Add 1 cup cider; mix. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Remove from heat. Add 2 tbsp. Lemon juice and 2 tbsp. Butter. Cool.
- 5CREAMY CIDER ICING:
Melt 1/2 cup butter in sauce pan; blend in 3 1/2 tbsp. Flour and 1/4 tsp. salt.add 1/2 cup cider; stir well. Bring to boil; cook 1 min,stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 3 cups (I used only 2; still plenty sweet) sifted confectionary sugar and beat well. Add 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts. ( didn't use nuts this time; my youngest doesn't like them..will next time)..