Mexican Tequila Cheesecake/Torta de Quesocrema
- 2 large
- packages goya maria cookies, galletas maria, you can also use 2 boxes vanilla wafers
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 1 can(s)
- condensed milk
- 12 oz
- nestle media crema labeled as table cream (2 cans)
- 8 oz
- philadelphia cream cheese (large package)
- 3 medium
- limes juiced & strained
- 1 tsp
- lime rind, grated
- 4 small
- envelopes unflavored gelatin (i use knox) dissolved in warm water
- 1/2 c
- warm water for dissolving gelatin
- 3 lb
- fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3/4 c
- 6 tsp
- good tequila either gold or silver
- 1 can(s)
- pam vegetable or butter spray or canola oil for greasing cheese cake pan
- 1/2 tsp
- course salt or kosher saltm optional for sprinling on top the cake when done.
- 1 large
- lime juiced for maserating berries
How to Make Mexican Tequila Cheesecake/Torta de Quesocrema
- 1First let me say there is no cooking involved in making this cheesecake. Start by cleaning and hulling and slicing the berries. Put berries in a large freezer bag and add the sugar, juice of 1 lime, and 3 teaspoons tequila. Seal bag and very gently mix the berries without smashing them or squishing them. Turn the bag over and over to coat the berries and put in the refrigerator to maserate. Berries should be in the frig at least two hours or more.
- 2Next take your spring form cheesecake pan and spray very well with vegetable spray or butter spray. Be sure to coat the pan very well making sure to coat all around the sides up to the very top. This will ensure that your cake will unmold easly. If you have no vegetable spray use canola oil and grease pan well. Place greased mold in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- 3In a half cup warm water dissolve 3 envelopes one package at a time of gelatin, mixing and stirring after each package is added to the water. Be sure to mix the gelatin very well. I have a small little wisk or you can use a fork. Try to dissolve the gelatin as best possible. This is a very important step or you cake wont set up. You can microwave on high for one minute or less to make sure all is dissolved well. Set aside
- 4Next in a large blender add the 3 cans of milks, scraping the condensed and creama cans to get all the milk out. Add the cream cheese and blend on low to mix everything very well, once cream cheese is dissolved add the lime juice from the three limes, remaining tequila and the dissolved gelatin blend on medium speed to incorporate everything. Pour your mixture into a large bowl and add the rind to the mixture mix very well with a spoon or spatula.
- 5Next open your packages of cookie and have them ready to use. Remove spring form pan from the refrigerator, remove your berries from the bag and put into a large pan spread them out so you can see which ones are larger. Save the sweet juice from your berries in a cup and set aside. Your are now ready to assemble your cake.
- 6I use a large ladle and scoop out a ladeleful of the batter and pour into the bottom of your spring form pan with a spatula spread gently all around making usre the entire bottom of the pan is covered. Next put the cookies one next to the other all around on top of the batter. Then with a fork or with your hands put the berries one next to each other covering all of the cookies. Do not overlap the cookies or the berries just place them next to each other covering the entire bottom. Next scoop out another ladleful of batter over the berries again with the spatula gently spread the batter over all the berries covering entirely. You will probably need more than a ladleful for each bed of berries. Again cover all the berries with the cookies then berries then batter. Continue until you reach the top of the pan. You will end with the berries. I save the larger berries for the top and kind of make a pretty design on top of my cake using all of the berries. Now I take my cup of berry juice I add a little lime juice and stir well I taste to see if it needs a little more sugar it should be sweet but not to sweet. Sprinkle the last envelope of gelatin to the berry juice and stir well once well dissolved microwave for a half minute to make sure all is well dissolved. set it on the counter do not refrigerate.
- 7Place your cake in the refrigerator to set up. About an hour later check with your finger to see if the batter is set. If it is take your cup of berry juices and gently pour in a circular motion over the entire top of your cake covering all the berries. Place your cake back into the refrigerator and let set for at least 4 hours or overnight. The next day with your finger tips gently pull away the gelatin from the sides of the pan do this all around the pan. Slowly pushing the gelatin away from the sides. Once you have done this open the spring form pan gently and remove the circular part of the pan. You can leave the cake sitting on the bottom of the cake pan or you can remove it to a cake dish. With a large pancake turner or metal spatula dip into hot water and gently insert under the cake then gently push onto a cake plate. Your cake should slide right off since you oiled your pan very well before starting. You can garnish with lime twists or what ever you like. This cake is sweet but not overly sweet. If you like a sweeter cake then when blending the milks in the blender you can add a little more sugar to the batter and blend well. proceed with the recipe. Left over cake should be refrigerated after serving. Enjoy Buen appetito.