Meg's Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake
If you are a messy cook like me, be prepared to use quite a few bowls and spatulas. This is well worth the extra dishes.
For the original recipe:
2 1/4 call purpose flour
1 cwhite sugar - divided
3/4 cunsalted butter, cubed
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/4 tspsea salt
3/4 csour cream
2 tspalmond extract
1 Tbspvanilla extract
2 largeeggs - divided
1/2 pkg(4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cblackberry preserves or apple butter, strawberry, huckelberry, etc
1/2 csliced almonds
1/8 cpowdered sugar
10 to 15drops of vanilla extract
How to Make Meg's Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" springform pan. I used pan grease and the coffee cake was very easy to remove from pan. I love my springform pan..
- Mix together with a fork, flour, 3/4* cup sugar and the butter and mix well until it resembles small peas. Scoop out 1 1/4 cup of this mixture and put into another bowl. (this will be for the topping)
- To the remaining mixture, add baking soda, baking powder, salt, sour cream, almond extract, vanilla, and one egg*. Mix until just combined.
- Spread the batter into prepared springform pan and make sure to get this up the sides at least 2 inches. "You want to create an edge or crust for the filling to sit inside of"..this is where it starts to get messy unless you have dropped something on the floor or scattered the flour.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar* and the other egg*. Mix well.
Spread on top of the batter and try to spread it up to the edges.
- Spoon the jam or a filling of your choice on top of the cream cheese mixture. You do not have to have it evenly spread out, but just little drops makes the best presentation.
- Add the almonds to the reserved crumbs and spread on top.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Top should be a light shade of brown.
- Cool for 15 minutes then take the springform side off.
Set in refrigerator for 1 hour..the house will smell wonderful and have the best almond smell.
- Mix the powder sugar and the drops of vanilla and drizzle over coffee cake..