Kentucky Stack Cake
- 7 1/2 c
- flour, sifted, divided
- 1/2 c
- 1 pkg
- 16oz. brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 2 tsp
- pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 c
- 3 c
- fresh, or canned unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar, or to taste
How to Make Kentucky Stack Cake
- 1Put the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour; put butter in well.
- 2Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice; work into butter with fingers. Add egg and work into butter-sugar mixture.
- 3Gradually add buttermilk, working in flour as you go, until all buttermilk is used, and a soft dough is made.
- 4Divide dough into 7 equal portions. Press one portion into a greased and floured 9" round cake pan. Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes. Turn layer onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining 6 portions of dough.
- 5Combine applesauce with remaining 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Sweeten with granulated sugar. Spread applesauce between slightly warm cake layers. Do not put filling on top layer.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap and allow cake to age for several days for best flavor...Enjoy!