Kentucky Stack Cake
7 1/2 cflour, sifted, divided
1 pkg16oz. brown sugar
1 tspbaking soda
2 tsppumpkin pie spice, divided
3 cfresh, or canned unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cgranulated sugar, or to taste
How to Make Kentucky Stack Cake
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour; put butter in well.
- Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice; work into butter with fingers. Add egg and work into butter-sugar mixture.
- Gradually add buttermilk, working in flour as you go, until all buttermilk is used, and a soft dough is made.
- Divide dough into 7 equal portions. Press one portion into a greased and floured 9" round cake pan. Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes. Turn layer onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining 6 portions of dough.
- Combine applesauce with remaining 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Sweeten with granulated sugar. Spread applesauce between slightly warm cake layers. Do not put filling on top layer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow cake to age for several days for best flavor...Enjoy!