Grandma Bingham's Amazing Gingerbread
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cbutter, room temperature
1 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cagave syrup (or karo corn syrup)
1/2 cdark molasses
2 tspbaking soda
1 tspeach: ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves
1 chot water
How to Make Grandma Bingham's Amazing Gingerbread
- Adjust rack to low center. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. (I use Pam baking spray). I also cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan, just to be safe.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and granulated sugar.
- Add, stirring well agave syrup (or Karo), molasses and egg.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, soda and spices.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet, alternating with hot water.
- Pour/spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cake springs up when touched in the center.
- Optional: powdered sugar icing
Mix together 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 T melted butter, 1 T milk, 1 tsp vanilla, and a bit of fresh ground nutmeg if you have it. Spread onto cake while still warm. After icing, let cool for 30 minutes and cut into bars or squares with a sharp knife. (If you don't let it cool some, it may tear when you cut it.)