Gluten-Free Dairy-Free New York Cheesecake!!
Let me note that this recipe was modified from Craig Claiborne's Recipe
- 1 1/4 lb
- vegan cream cheese (i can't believe its cream cheese)
- 7/8 c
- 1 1/2 c
- flour (bean based mix like bob's red mill)
- 3/4 tsp
- orange rind
- 3/4 tsp
- lemon rind
- 1/8 tsp
- whole eggs
- egg yolk
- 1/8 c
- cream (coconut fat from premium canned coconut milk)
- 1 c
- schar shortbread cookies (about 16)
- 1/8 c
- vegan butter
How to Make Gluten-Free Dairy-Free New York Cheesecake!!
- 1Bring all ingredients to room temperature. I leave them to sit out for about 1 hour before I bake.
When you're ready to mix, Preheat the oven to 450.
- 2Put cookies and 1/8 cup vegan butter in a food processor and pulse until mixed like coarse meal. Press into the bottom and slightly up the side of a 6" spring form pan. Cover the corner just enough to make sure liquids stay inside.
- 3Place all the rest of the ingredients in a mixer and mix (cream cheese through coconut milk.) It is best to have all these ingredients at room temperature so they mix easily, otherwise you will have to mix eggs one at a time and slowly.
Pour mixture into springform pan and place in the oven. Bake at 450 for 20 min, then turn the stove to 200 for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and let cake sit in the oven for about 30 min with the door slightly ajar.
Run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake from the sides of the pan. Unhinge and continue to let the cake cool. When cool enough, place in the frig. I think the cake is best when cooled for about 8 hours... it gets creamier. But I never have the courage to wait that long.